Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Unsolicited Review of Keen's San Antonio Shoe

About 25 years ago, my left foot was torn off at the ankle in a construction accident. No big deal, they screwed the leg bones together and screwed the foot on for a few weeks and it stayed there-I still have it, in fact. However, after a few years I developed two conditions. I began to develop the ability to track pressure systems with my left ankle, somewhat painfully. There seems to be nothing medical science, or the retail community can do about it. When a storm front moves in and the pressure changes, my left ankle throbs.

The other condition affects my right foot. It too, was torn nearly off, but no bones, skin, ligaments, or tendons were severed, or broken, according to my doctors. It was just pulled off and laid back against my leg, backwards like the other one, but still somehow intact. We just straightened it out and popped it into the socket, kind of like fitting a torx bit into your bit driver. Anyway, after a few years, certain footwear, especially boots would cause the ball of my foot to alternate between burning, numbness and intense pain. Any type of shoe might cause it, though.

For years I've gone through phases of buying the most expensive and then the most inexpensive footwear on the market. Oddly enough, the most success has been with the cheapest footwear. As time wore on, boots-all boots, became painful. I've yet to wear a pair of boots for more than a half hour without pain that makes my eyes water. During hunting season, you might find me sitting on the ground with my right boot off and my foot buried in a snowbank, crying like a baby. Don't laugh, however, because I WILL be holding my rifle.

In the past couple years, all footwear is now having the same effect. I was down to one pair of painless shoes-a pair of dockers bought at wally world about 10 years ago, that were really starting to hurt my feet a bit, after a few hours. They were just plain wore out. So, I began the search for another pair of painless footwear. I tried on shoes at nearly every place in town. PW suggested a surplus outlet store that I sold shoes, much to my surprise and there, a sales girl introduced me to Keens. (cue the monks chanting in the monastery) They are a little pricey for the wally world crowd, but under a paycheck for most people. To be totally honest, I don't remember what I paid for them, only that I didn't care what they cost as soon as I slipped them on.

The girl gave me the usual story of how the founder descended from the gods and all-knowing, left his job designing Rockports and started his own company, dedicated to bringing quality footwear and enlightenment to the masses. She told me how she swore by her Keens and how they improved her sex life and blah, blah, blah. Somewhere about the time I slipped them on and stood up (cue the monks chanting in the monastery, again) her voice was drowned out by the monks. I was in footwear heaven. I could tell, in an instant, I had found a pair of completely painless footwear.

Since then, I've met an entire family of Keens disciples (you should see their shrine) and wore mine daily for two weeks. I wore them while traveling half way around the world, from the upper Midwest, U.S. of A. to the West coast of Australia and I've been walking around steel ship decks for nearly a week now, during 12-15 hour shifts. They are outstanding. Beyond, painless, they are comfortable, offer good support and actually seem to encourage me to adopt a straighter posture and I swear I feel better in general, for wearing them. I am starting to see how a family can convert from Baptist to Keens.

With an aggressive tread that allows for off-road, backwoods use and relatively non-slip on oily, steel decks, my chosen style shown above, the San Antonio, from the BLVD line, comes in bison, black and army (latte, mulch and avocado for those on the left coast) and works well for any type of everyday environments you want to throw at it. The extra-wide toe box that seemed to be common to all the styles I viewed, adds to the comfort level and the uppers feature a waterproof material.

UPDATE: I've also bought a pair of the Venice H2 sandals and wore them for nearly a week at the water park reviewed above. LOVE them. Same comfort, support and voodoo magic on my permanently screwed-up back. This footwear is damn good!

Finally, a quick review of their company website reveals them to be a progressive manufacturer, creative and environmentally friendly. Promoting corporate social responsibility and environmental consciousness, they are a company you can feel good about doing business with. In summary, I LOVE my Keens and I think you will, too:)

No comments: